Student Loans

The Government, via the Student Loans Company, offers loans to cover your tuition fees and assist with your living expenses whilst you are studying. 

Tuition Fee Loan

If you’re intending to be a full-time or part-time (studying at least 25% intensity of a full-time course) higher education student, ordinarily resident in England or the EU, and meet the relevant residency criteria, you can apply for a government loan to cover your tuition fees. 

The only exception is if you’ve already been in higher education, in which case you may not be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan, but this depends on the course you will be studying.

Maintenance Loan (Living Cost Loan)

If you’re a full-time Home student, or a full-time EU student who has been ordinarily resident in the UK for five years prior to the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you can apply for a Maintenance Loan.

This is a loan available to help you with the day-to-day costs of going to university (a place to live, food, travel and course materials, for example).

Unlike the tuition fee loan, the amount you receive varies depending on your situation. This includes a variety of factors, such as your household income, your financial status, where you study and where you chose to live whilst you study.

Extra student funding: You might be eligible for extra money on top of student loans, for example if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children. 

Use the student finance calculator to get an idea of the amount you might expect to receive.

Paying back your undergraduate students loans: You'll repay 9% of your income above the repayment threshold – earn less and you won’t repay.

Once you leave your course, you’ll only repay when your income is above the repayment threshold. The current UK threshold is £25,725 a year, £2,143 a month, or £494 a week.

For example, if you earn £2,250 a month before tax, you’ll repay £9 a month. This is because £2,250 is £107 above the monthly threshold of £2,143, and 9% of £107 is £9.

Applying for student finance

You don’t have to wait until you’ve been formally offered a place at university before applying for your Tuition Fee Loan. We advise you to apply as early as possible so your finance is in place when your course begins. You will not receive any related Maintenance Loan payments until your Tuition Fee Loan has been approved and your attendance at university can be confirmed.

You can log back in and change your course or university details on your finance application if you want / need to before enrolment.

Visit the Government website to apply for student finance


Connect with us

Last edited: 17/01/2020 10:22:00