From here you can find out how to start your essay or assignment and steps you can take to prepare yourself to complete them successfully.
Information is available on how to write academically, alongside support on developing your critical and analytical skills. Using an academic writing style and format will help improve the quality of your work. This page includes tips on how to develop and improve your drafts, and how to turn them into the finished piece of work ready for submission.
Skills4Study is an online resource available free to all students and includes a module on writing skills with advice on suitable styles for essays and assignments and practical guidance on how to structure ideas and improve your written work including diagnostic tests, self-assessment quizzes and videos with students’ tips.
In addition, to help you develop your academic skills, we have created learning resources that you can make use of when preparing for your next essay, assignment or exam. The following resources are recommended if you would like tips and ideas to improve your writing skills:
The complete set of resources can be found on Blackboard, under the Student Support tab> Academic Learning Development> Resources> Essays and Assignments.
There are several workshops taking place through the academic year that can help you improve your essay writing skills across our campuses. Please make sure you email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
- Time Management & Study Habits: Wed 10 Oct, 12:30-2pm, Mg16
- Effective Reading & Note-taking: Fri 19 Oct, 12:30-2pm, Mg17
- Referencing & Plagiarism Prevention (Harvard Style): Fri 2 Nov, 12:30-2pm, Ns03-04
- Plan & Prep Your Assignment: Wed 7 Nov, 12:30-2pm, Pf06
- Discussion, Argument & Critical Analysis: Tues 13 Nov, 12:30-2pm, Lg25
- Taking Essays to the Next Level: Fri 7 Dec, 12:30-2pm, AH2.23
- Referencing & Plagiarism Prevention (Harvard Style): Thurs 20 Sep, 12:30-1:30pm, CCf01
- Plan & Prep Your Assignment: Thurs 8 Nov, 12:30-2pm, CCf01
You can download the full workshop schedule or visit the Student Events Calendar for more details.
Additional workshop topics can be offered on request. Please email email@example.com if you have a specific request for an additional workshop.
If you would like to book a one-to-one tutorial you can contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01227 922 641.