Moving Into Accommodation

If you have chosen to live in University accommodation you have made a great choice.

Inside the University Accommodation Handbook is all the essential information that you will need to know before you arrive and once you are a resident .Below are some key highlights to help your move go smoothly. 


The Licence Agreement that you’ve accepted is a legal contract between you and the University. It lays out clearly the obligations that you have as a Licence holder in the accommodation and the obligations that the University has to you. The minimum duration of the agreement between the University and the Student is for the Licence Period stated in your Summary of Offer.
Approximately 14 days before you are due to arrive (or once your guarantor process is complete), you’ll receive an email inviting you to complete the compulsory Student Accommodation Induction which will give you further information on your accommodation, instructions of how to find it, and to book arrival times if you are arriving on one of the large intake days.
 In all student accommodation we provide a fridge, freezer, electric kettle, cooker, microwave, vacuum cleaner, toaster, iron and ironing board. Additionally, washing machines are provided where not offered communally. Rooms are supplied with a mattress, mattress protector and bed base, wardrobe, desk and computer chair, book shelf, notice board, curtains or blinds, floor covering, lampshade, waste paper bin and electrical and TV sockets.

You may wish to wait until you arrive to see what you room looks like and what your housemates bring. There are plenty of shops in Canterbury to get what you might need which will probably include:

  • Duvet
  • Pillows
  • Bed linen
  • Towels
  • Tea towels
  • Crockery
  • Cutlery
  • Saucepans
  • Some food for the first few days
  • Cleaning materials for keeping the kitchen, bathroom and your bedroom clean and tidy.

Both bed and kitchen packs can be purchased online by going to UniKitOut but only once you have received and accepted your accommodation offer.

Toilet rolls are not provided in en suite rooms and shared toilets, although there will be one as part of your welcome pack when you arrive.

All bedrooms have a notice board so that you can put up pictures and posters. Please ensure that you don’t affix any posters, pictures or any other items to the walls in your accommodation as you will be charged for any redecoration needed. 

Items which are not permitted and which you should not bring with you include:

  • Candles
  • Incense sticks
  • Tea lights
  • BBQs
  • Oil and electric heaters
  • Chip fryers
  • Smoking equipment such as pipes and ashtrays
  • Dartboards
  • Weapons of any description either real or replica
  • Drugs or any other psychoactive substances
  • Large items of furniture or equipment such as white goods are not allowed in student accommodation for health and safety reasons
  • Pets of any description are also not allowed
If you bring a device with you to watch or record television programmes, you will need a TV Licence.. A device can be a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box etc. To purchase a Licence or for more information go to:





Connect with us

Last edited: 26/07/2019 08:40:00