This is sometimes referred to as interruption.
Before submitting a request to take a break, please ensure you:
If you wish to take a break from your studies, you will still be a registered student of the University and will be subject to University requirements, including any disciplinary procedures.
There is no right to the payment of any bursaries and loans or access to any resources of the University, except for the following:
- usage of the Library will continue as normal unless you fully withdraw from study at the University
- access to your computer accounts
- access to student support services
- research students who will have access to all University systems and facilities except for supervision.
Please note that if you are a student on Tier 4 of the Points Based Visa System, you are required by the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) service to return to your home country if you take a break from your studies. The University reserves the right to refuse to issue a further Confirmation of Acceptance of Study (CAS) if you breach UKVI rules by remaining within the United Kingdom during any break period.
The University will update your student records to show your interruption from the future date you indicate on the form or if no date is added then the submission date of your request. This date will be used to work out your tuition fee liability and your student funding; please ensure that you fully understand the financial implications of your request before making your final decision.
An interruption is for a maximum of one calendar year or, exceptionally, to the start of the one further academic year. Please note that you will also be required to pay tuition fees for the academic year in which your return. The tuition fee due will depend on the date on which you return and fees may be due even if you are only returning to sit exams. Please ensure that you fully understand the financial implications of your request before making your final decision.
Your Fees, Your Responsibilities: Guidance for Home and EU Students 2017/18
Your Fees, Your Responsibilities: Guidance for International Students 2017/18
Important information for students in University accommodation
If you are currently University named accommodation, please note the following
- You must provide a letter from your academic department confirming your withdrawal and the date of withdrawal. This must be given to the accommodation team. You can send this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will still have to pay rent due to date, plus 4 weeks rent after the date you notify the accommodation team (unless a replacement student can move in earlier)
- You may incur a charge for room cleaning and/or damage if your room is left in an unacceptable condition.