Thinking about your student accommodation at Canterbury Christ Church University.

Student accommodation

University Accommodation is available to all first year students, but moving in is only part of the experience. There may be things you need to do during your stay, information of which can be found here.

Fault reporting

There may be times while you're in University owned accommodation when you need to report faults and let us know of problems that need to be resolved.

Our fault reporting guidelines

Lost and replacement keys

Please take care not to lose your keys or access card. It is important that you remove the key tag, if you lose your keys with the tag on, anyone finding them will be able to identify the address to which they relate.

I need to replace a lost key

Accommodation postal services

University owned accommodation have postal services at the main reception desks.

How can I use the postal service?


Housekeeping services

See the housekeeping services on offer, including cleaning and room set up.

Housekeeping services

Accommodation parking

Limited parking is available at several of our University owned accommodation sites.

Parking availability

Accommodation room changes

We try to discourage transfers during the first couple of weeks of term. If you’re having trouble settling-in, feel lonely or homesick contact the Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers who are here to help.

Accommodation room changes


ASK4 internet service

SASK4 Internet provide an internet connection in University owned accommodation, either through a dedicated network port, or through WiFi.

More Details on ASK4 Internet


Connect with us

Last edited: 23/01/2017 16:04:00