Looking after yourself

When moving to a new location there's a number of things you should do to enable you to have access to the support you need when you need it.

Getting medical help and registering with a Doctor

You should register with a GP Practice close to where you live as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are ill. If you have moved to this area to study, you should register with a doctor here and not near your family home, as you will now spend most of your time here.

Click here to find your local GP service

Out-of-Hours Doctors

The NHS 111 is a non-emergency number that enables you to speak to highly trained advisers, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you.

NHS111 provides out-of-hours medical services and you can contact this number even if you’re not yet registered with a GP.

Dental Services

If you need to see a dentist visit NHS Services where you can search the website for local dental practices.

In an emergency, contact Kent Dentaline on 01634 890300

Their normal opening hours are every evening 7pm-10.30pm plus weekends and bank holiday mornings 9.30am to 11am.

Meningitis and Septicaemia

You may have heard of MenC and MenB as causes of meningitis and septicaemia - now there’s an increase in MenW infection as well! The good news is, there’s a new MenACWY vaccination.

Older teenagers and university students are identified as being at a higher risk of infection because they tend to live in close contact in shared accommodation, such as university halls of residence.

From August 2015 all first-time University entrants (up to the age of 25) will be offered this vaccine which protects against four different causes of meningitis and septicaemia.

MenW disease, like all meningococcal infections can come on suddenly and progress quickly. Early symptoms can vary but are not unlike ‘flu (or in some cases, hangovers) and include:

  • headache
  • stiff neck and possibly other joints
  • dislike of bright lights
  • drowsiness/lack of coherence/lethargy
  • fever and/or vomiting
  • cold hands and feet

If you, or someone you know has these symptoms, seek urgent medical advice. Don’t wait for a rash to develop. Early diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics are vital.

Here’s more information symptoms of meningitis and the treatment of meningitis

Immunisation against illness

Contagious illnesses can spread easily on a University campus; please make sure that you are fully immunised before you arrive. It’s often worth checking with your family or your doctor which immunisations you have had. If you are a UK student aged between 18 and 25, there’s a very good chance that you’ve had only one dose of the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine. You need two doses to have greater immunity.

For further information on student immunisations and health care, see http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/studenthealth/Pages/Fivehealthsecrets.aspx

General wellbeing

Eating well

Having a healthy relationship with food is crucial to your health and wellbeing. Benefits include increased energy and stamina for an active lifestyle, socialising, improved concentration and enthusiasm for studying, improved immune system, prevention of long-term health problems, healthy weight and skin tone. For more detailed information on how to eat for good health, visit Eat Well .

Alcohol awareness

Most of us drink alcohol on a variety of occasions and for many reasons. Drinking a small amount of alcohol does no harm and can be enjoyable, but there are recommended guidelines for safe drinking limits. To find out how many units are in popular drinks, check the facts and understand your drinking, visit Drinkaware.

If you have any concerns about your wellbeing contact a Student Support & Wellbeing Adviser by emailing studentwellbeing@canterbury.ac.uk or calling 01227 782675.


Connect with us

Last edited: 19/08/2016 15:24:00